Friday, December 30, 2011

Thing 3

I feel that I could use a blog in a variety of ways.  The first way that I feel a blog could be beneficial is by how I could use it to post daily homework assignments and activities in class.  The second way that I could a blog would be to use it as an open dicussion where students and I could interact with each other outside of the normal school time.  For example, if we have a test, quiz, or an assignment that is going to be coming up soon, students could post a question and their classmates or I could respond to the post to help them make sure they are getting the proper information they need to be ready to for the upcoming test or project.  A third way a blog could be useful for me is to post videos to the blog that I have used in class so that my students can have a link to the videos if they need to re-watch a video to help clarify or refresh their understanding of the content.
I think that my students might be a bit apprehensive at first about trying the blog assignments, but once we have done a couple of the assignments together in a computer lab, they would probably feel comfortable enough to be able to do the assignments on their own.  I think the overall response to a blog assignment would be very positive.

The only concern I have about educational blogging are how do you keep students from posting irrelevant or inappropriate comments?  However, I guess in a way that would be taken care of by only allowing registered users to respond and making sure that I have a list of my students screen names. 

2 comments:

  1. With the advent of our district going Google, having a website will take care of the 'static' items like posting assignments. Blogs, by nature, are interactive. Having students posting on them is what they are intended for. There is a feature that you can preview and approve posts prior to them being published. Check your settings to see how this is done.

    I really like your idea of having information for students to review after class. That is important for students who are too shy to ask questions in class, but really want to learn.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree, a blog would be very beneficial for our sixth graders. Especially in your self contained classroom!

    ReplyDelete